Infrastructure & Transportation
The members of the Infrastructure & Transportation Team are experienced in the development, financing and management of projects relating to transportation, infrastructure and related areas. Team members structure, negotiate and document the full array of project and financing agreements to meet our clients specific needs. Our participation often includes more than traditional legal counsel based on our experience; we provide business and strategic advice, assist in assembling the project team, and structure the corporate vehicle for the work.
Our Team members are seasoned attorneys who not only identify and facilitate transportation and infrastructure projects, but keep a firm eye on mitigating financial, construction, political and other risks, and advise on appropriate measures to minimize liabilities associated with infrastructure-related projects.
Whether its new facilities for Virginias port, commuter and rail systems or the construction, financing, and operation of projects for roads, bridges, water, wastewater and stormwater systems, airports, schools, stadiums and arenas, our Team members work to advance the development of Virginias transportation and infrastructure sector. We are involved in sophisticated, unique and high priority projects throughout the Commonwealth, to include identifying, developing and financing these vital projects in key Virginia markets. We have the ability and capability to represent any of the many stakeholders these projects affect, such as financial institutions, project sponsors, investors, contractors, infrastructure construction companies, infrastructure funds and municipalities.
- Public Finance
- Public-Private Parterships (P3s), including concession agreements
- Contract negotiation, drafting, administration and enforcement
- Dispute resolution
- Environmental and other regulatory compliance
- Tax issues State and Local Government Law
- Real Property issues
- Advised city on several prospective transportation P3 undertakings, involving bridges and interchanges
- Represented contractor in P3 development of a high school in southwestern Virginia
- Represented the owner/operator in construction, financing, and litigation of a new bridge, including tax credit matters
- Represented a national developer as operator in the first state level public-private partnership project in Virginia under the Virginia Public Private Educational and Infrastructure Act
- Assisted in P3 proposals for tunnel expansion from 1996 to present
- Served as bond counsel or underwriters counsel in various infrastructure projects, including tunnel, port, toll roads, and water and wastewater projects
- Represented general contractor in state and federal court litigation regarding construction of trash-to-steam energy plant
- Advised school district on multiple school construction project including development of RFP, design, construction manager and construction contracts
- Represented design professional in connection with claims regarding design of electronic message boards for interstates
- Assisted school district in resolving issues with general contractor and surety during renovation of school
- Represented firms proposing concession agreements for port terminal operations
- Represented international contractor in P3 project to construct state correctional facility
- Represented contractor in P3 project to construct multiple schools