Employee Benefits Alert - Summer 2011
In this Issue:
- New Nondiscrimination Rules for Insured Health Plans - Good News & Bad News
- DOL Finalizes Disclosure Requirements for Fiduciaries of Participant-Directed Individual Account Plans
- Guidance on In-Plan Roth Rollovers
- ERISA Fiduciary Redefined
By ESOPs & Employee Benefits
Employment Law Update - Summer 2011
In this Issue:
- Supreme Court Expands Potential Employer Liability for Retaliation
- ADAAA Regulations Represent Increasing Risk for Employers
- Non-Employee Harassment Comes to the Fourth Circuit
- Retaliation and Disability Discrimination Claims on the Rise
- Portsmouth Jury Issues $25 Million Verdict Against Employer
- Mock Trial Highlights 27th Annual ELU Seminar
By Labor & Employment
Private Client Services Update - 2011 Virginia Legislative Update - Trusts & Estates Law
The 2011 Virginia legislative session resulted in several important changes to trusts and estates law. Of particular note, any bank may now serve as a trustee in Virginia, even if the bank does not have an office located within the Commonwealth. This is helpful for clients who have relocated to Virginia after having established a fiduciary relationship with a bank in another state.
By Sarah E. Messersmith and Private Client Services
Real Estate Strategies Update - May 2011
Over the past few months, K&Cs Real Estate Strategies Group has had the privilege of assisting clients in numerous real estate matters. Below is a summary of a few recent transactions.
By Real Estate Strategies Group
The Costs of Not Complying
It seems as though almost daily a new regulation is published or an existing regulation is modified. What are credit unions to do? What about the concept of ignorance of the law? What about not complying?
By E. Andrew Keeney
From Subway to Supercuts
Thanks to the ongoing "jobless recovery," more out-of-work or underemployed Americans are considering franchises as the answer to a bleak job market. The International Franchise Association forecasts that the industry will see 2.5 percent growth this year, with nearly 20,000 new franchise establishments opening nationwide, creating 194,000 new jobs. If you are considering franchise ownership, below are several "dos" and "don'ts."
By Stephen E. Story
Five Ways to "Green" Your Small Business
Mention the word "green" to most small business owners and they think dollars. But increasingly theyre also thinking about the environment. Today companies are finding that the "going green" trend benefits not just the environment but also a firms bottom line. The question for many business owners then is how to get started.