United States Supreme Court Preserves a State's Right to Tax Municipal Bonds Differently
Many states, including the Commonwealth of Kentucky ("Kentucky"), do not tax interest earned on bonds issued by the state or its political subdivisions, but do tax interest earned on bonds issued by other states or their political subdivisions.
By Business Taxation
Litigating the Insurance Coverage Rescission Case, VA CLE, 2008
R. Johan Conrod Jr. recently presented the Virginia CLE titled, "Litigating the Insurance Coverage Recission Case."
By R. Johan Conrod Jr.
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Benefits Alert for Tax Exempt and Government Entities - Spring 2008
In This Issue:
- June 30 Deadline for Phase 1 Virginia Localities to Adopt Trust for OPEB Liabilities
- Reminder to Update Ineligible Deferred Compensation Plans...
- ...and 403(b) Tax Sheltered Annuity Plans
By Employee Benefits, ESOPs & Executive Compensation
What To Do When a Franchising Deal Goes Bad
Unfortunately, with some regularity, a franchisees relationship with his franchisor goes bad.
By Stephen E. Story
Pre-Condemnation Planning for Landowners: A Property Owner Checklist
We frequently get calls from landowners who have received a condemnation notice or who have learned that their property is about to be condemned.
By Mark A. Short
Ethics for Virginia Lawyers - 2008
Ann K. Crenshaw & The Honorable Edward Hanson, Jr. presented, "Ethics for Virginia Lawyers" to the Virginia Beach Bar Association in February 2008.
By Ann K. Crenshaw
Credit Union Legal Update - Winter 2008
In This Issue:
- Confidentiality of Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs)
- NCUA Examination of Bylaws
- Loyalty Seen as the Key to Profitability
- Business Tutorial for Protecting Personal Information
- A Member's Petition to Inspect Credit Union Books, Records and Minutes
By E. Andrew Keeney