Fair Lending Examination Documents
A priority in 2014 is for federal credit unions to prepare for a NCUA Fair Lending Examination.
By E. Andrew Keeney
Fraudulent Conveyance Risk a Recession Reality
It is unfortunate that credit unions often must deal with insolvent debtors and guarantors.
By Alfred M. Randolph Jr.
Private Client Services Update - 2013 Virginia Legislative Update - Trusts & Estates Law
The 2013 session of the Virginia General Assembly resulted in several important changes to trusts and estates law, most of which became effective July 1, 2013.
By Sarah E. Messersmith, William L. Holt and Private Client Services
Credit Union Legal Update - Summer 2013
In This Issue:
- Mortgage Lien Takes Priority Over Renewed Judgment Lien
- Post-Repossession Presale Notice Sufficient to Allow Pursuit of Deficiency
- Credit Union Not Liable for One Account Holder Removing Other Account Holder and Withdrawing All Funds
- Bankruptcy Trustee Wins Windfall for Estate, Avoids Refinance Deed of Trust Lien on Wife's One-Half Interest
- Automobile Lien Avoidable in Bankruptcy if Tool of Debtor's Trade
- Inadequate Redemption Notice Bars Credit Union from Recovering Vehicle Loan Deficiency
- Worth Watching: Recently Filed Lawsuits and Hot Topics
Private Client Services Update - U.S. Supreme Court Vindicates Virginia Supreme Court’s “Minority Position” On Federally Governed Death Benefits
In estate litigation matters, which seem to be increasing in frequency as estate planning vehicles become more complex, we often deal with conflicts between how a divorced spouse has said he or she will designate retirement benefits, and what actually has occurred.
By Private Client Services
Title Insurance Client Alert - Recent Case: Lis Pendens Filed within 90 days is Avoidable under 11 U.S.C. § 547
In the case of Terry v. Fidelity Natl Title Ins. Co. (In re Ware), 2013 Bankr. LEXIS 1051 (Bankr. E.D. Va. Mar. 20, 2013), the Honorable Douglas O. Tice held that a Lis Pendens filed within 90 days of a bankruptcy petition is, in fact, avoidable as a preferential transfer of property under 11 U.S.C. § 547 along with the reformation action which is pegged to said Lis Pendens.
By Jeffrey L. Marks, James L. Windsor and Real Estate Claims & Title Insurance Solutions
Employment Law Update - Summer 2013
In This Issue:
- EEOC Files First GINA Lawsuits
- New Virginia Law Affirms Right Not to Disclose Employee Data
- Retaliation Claim Against Virginia Tech Goes Forward
- OBAMACARE Deadlines are Looming
- What Was He Thinking?
- Leading Health Care Reform Advisor Joins K&C Labor & Employment Team
- 29th Annual Employment Law Update - Your Prescription for Compliance
By Labor & Employment