Government Contracts & Construction
Home to the largest Naval Base in the world, Hampton Roads is the ideal location for our team of experienced attorneys in Government Contracts and Construction Law.
As part of the largest law firm based in southeastern Virginia, our team of Government Contracts & Construction attorneys provides a full range of services in government contracts and construction law.
The Government Contracts & Construction Law Practice Group services a wide range of industries, including construction, ship repair, information technology and government contract suppliers and service providers.
We represent ship repair companies, high technology firms, manufacturers, service contractors, construction contractors and small and disadvantaged businesses. Kaufman & Canoles represents both publicly traded construction companies and government contractors, local contractors and subcontractors and public and private owners. Our clients rely on us for assistance in proposal preparation, contract formation and drafting and contract award disputes and performance disputes addressed in court, arbitration or in alternative dispute resolution. We have been involved in major construction projects including power plants, bridges, stadiums, hospitals, prisons, waste water treatment plants, airport terminals, military installations, various public buildings including courthouses and parking garages, and high rise office buildings and condominiums.
- Bid Protests
- Litigation (Federal & State Courts)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Claims Analysis & Preparation
- Negotiating & Drafting Contracts
- Small Business and Socio-economic Issues
- Suspension & Debarment
- Boards of Contract Appeals
- Regulatory Compliance
- Defense of Procurement Fraud
- Mechanics Liens
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Represented contractor in Government Accountability Office protest and subsequent United States Court of Federal Claims bid protest action involving Department of Army computer distance learning procurement
- Represented general contractor in state and federal court litigation regarding construction of trash-to-steam energy plant
- Represented owner of a continuing care retirement community in claims against architect and general contractor
- Represented County in state court bid protest action regarding courthouse construction project
- Represented contractor before Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals on termination for convenience settlement claim regarding a ship repair contract
- Drafted and negotiated construction and design contracts for various commercial projects
- Represented parties in numerous mechanics lien actions in state court including several Virginia Supreme Court cases
- Advised school district on multiple school construction project including development of RFP, design, construction manager and construction contracts
- Defended government contractors in procurement fraud proceedings in state and federal court
- Represented developer and general contractor in Chinese Drywall claims
- Represented contractors and sureties in payment and performance bond claims
- Represented general contractor in arbitration against subcontractor for construction defects in a commercial office building