Alison is of counsel with Kaufman & Canoles. Her practice includes estate planning and administration, tax planning and compliance, and counseling small businesses, associations and non-profits. Alison works regularly with clients to address international issues, including income from foreign sources and overseas assets.
- Counseled high net-worth individuals in estate and tax planning matters involving assets located outside the U.S.
- Represented individuals holding off-shore accounts and other foreign assets in compliance with U.S. disclosure requirements
- Counseled personal representatives of estates and trusts having complex administration issues, such as the partition of real estate interests shared with over 40 title-holders, special use valuations, minor trusts, and assets outside the U.S.
- Represented purchasers and sellers of small and medium-sized businesses in negotiation and settlement of asset and stock acquisitions and sales
- Represented taxpayers in IRC section 1031 exchanges
- Counseled non-profit entities in formation, tax, compliance, and related matters
- Represented sellers and purchasers in commercial, residential, and undeveloped real estate transactions
- Advised boards of directors of homeowners’ associations and condominium unit owners’ associations on matters pertaining to governance, compliance with laws and regulations, and developer issues
Recognition & Honors
- College of William & Mary School of Law; Adjunct Professor, 2004-2007
- Passed Customs Broker License Exam, 2006
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Williamsburg Bar Association
- Windsor Forest Association; Past President of Board of Directors
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Greater Virginia Peninsula; Past Chair of Board of Directors
- Fishing Bay Yacht Club; Past Junior Division Commander
- Stove Point Improvement Association; President of Board of Directors
- Bruton Parish Church Foundation; Chair of Board of Directors
- Hampton Roads Academy; Secretary of Board of Directors
- University of Virginia; B.A., 1989
- Université Panthéon-Assas (Paris II), 1994
- University of Richmond School of Law; J.D., 1998
Press & Publications
- 40 Kaufman & Canoles Attorneys Named as Top Lawyers 2019 in CoVaBiz Magazine
- Private Client Services Update – Trump is President and Republicans Control Both Chambers of Congress…
- Business Tax Client Alert – May 2016
- Private Client Services Update – Foreign Asset Disclosure, Financial Reporting and Tax Planning in a Complex World
- FATCA is Coming to Your Foreign Financial Institution – Are You Ready?
- Private Client Services Update – Minimizing the Impact of the New 3.8% Medicare Surtax on Trust Income
- Private Client Services Update – Estate Planning Considerations for Non-Citizens
- Private Client Services Update – IRS Has Two Smash Hits and Releases Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program III
- Private Client Services Update – The FBAR and OVDI are not health foods . . . but you should know what they are and why the August 31, 2011 expiration date matters
- Private Client Services Update – Family Business Succession Planning (Beyond Taxes and Trusts)
- Private Client Services Update – No Federal Estate or GST Tax! Are These the Best of Tax Times or the Worst of Tax Times?