Catherine brings years of experience in government investigations and enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex civil litigation to her clients. Her practice also focuses on regulatory compliance counseling for clients across a broad range of business sectors, including advising clients in developing and implementing compliance programs and policies.
In addition to assisting her clients to achieve successful trial outcomes, Catherine has managed wide-ranging domestic and cross-border investigations involving business conduct, including helping clients navigate challenges associated with responding to U.S. government-originated subpoenas. Catherine has assisted her clients in achieving favorable outcomes before the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Treasury, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Catherine also has particular experience with legal issues facing clients in the life sciences industry. She represents health services and pharmaceutical clients in investigations and whistleblower litigation involving the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
- Managed all aspects of civil and criminal government-led and internal investigations related to fraud (including securities and healthcare), false claims, export controls and economic sanctions, insider trading, and other regulatory compliance matters, including in response to inquiries from the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Commerce, the Department of the Treasury, the Environmental Protection Agency, and Congressional committees
- Litigated high-stakes federal court cases and arbitrations: investigated claims, conducted legal analysis, and developed strategy; interviewed witnesses; managed extensive e-discovery along with privacy and data protection issues; drafted motions, client presentations, briefs and discovery; drafted direct and cross examinations and jury instructions; took and defended fact and expert depositions; managed expert witnesses; prepared for and assisted during jury and bench trials; and helped negotiate settlements
- Counseled multinational, publicly-listed clients on potential U.S. regulatory risks and compliance program enhancements: helped guide senior management and board in weighing associated business and legal risks; developed and improved global compliance policies and procedures and provided guidance and training for implementation; prepared legal reports and correspondence for executive teams, including presentations as needed for senior management and meetings of the board
- Led and supervised large teams of attorneys, consultants, accountants and auditors in complex global and domestic investigations and compliance matters, providing leadership through: effective prioritization and time management; seeking and offering clear guidance; building strong relationships; fostering communication and teamwork; and managing large- and small-scale projects in a cost-effective manner to adhere to legal budgets
- Worked closely with clients (both attorneys and business leadership) to understand their concerns and objectives when faced with high-stakes legal risks, and guided clients using legal and practical judgment to develop strategic approaches that balance business objectives with available compliance resources and legal risks
- Pro bono matters: represented criminal defendants in D.C. Superior Court; represented victims of domestic violence to obtain civil protection orders
Recognition & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America, 2024
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Robert G. Doumar, Senior Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Vessel Disposal and Reuse Foundation; Board Member
- Princeton University; B.A., 2005
- University of Virginia School of Law; J.D., 2009