Ryan is Of Counsel in our Norfolk office where he specializes in maritime and admiralty law matters. He has almost ten years of experience in the maritime industry, working with owners, operators, charterers, class societies, flag states and international organizations.
Ryan represents vessel owners and operators, cargo owners, marine terminal operators, shipyards, and others in maritime litigation in federal and state court. As a former Deputy Commissioner of Maritime Affairs for one of the world’s largest flag states, Ryan also has a unique understanding of the regulatory and compliance challenges facing the maritime industry, including vessel registration and documentation, vessel detentions and arrests, mariner licensure and credentialing, U.S. and international sanctions regimes, International Maritime Organization (IMO) and International Labour Organization (ILO) conventions, and international tax transparency and AML/CFT standards as they relate to the maritime industry. Ryan also drafts, reviews, and negotiates charterparties and other maritime contracts on behalf of his clients.
- Represented ship owners/operators and terminal operators in multimillion dollar death and personal injury cases in federal and state courts
- Represented banks/mortgagees in vessel arrests
- Drafted charterparties for a fleet of tugs
- Designed and implemented strategies for compliance with U.S. Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and U.N. Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) sanctions regimes, the Common Reporting Standard (CRS), Country-by-Country Reporting (CbCR) requirements, economic substance requirements, and Financial Action Task Force (FATF) Recommendations
- Represented flag state in meetings with the European Union (EU), the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and other international organizations
- Drafted and amended national maritime, corporate, banking, tax, and other laws and regulations
Recognition & Honors
- Deputy Commissioner of Maritime Affairs, Republic of the Marshall Islands, 2013-2018
- Deputy Registrar of Corporations, Republic of the Marshall Islands, 2013-2018
- Special Agent, Republic of the Marshall Islands, 2013-2018
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- University of Virginia; B.A., 2006
- University of Virginia School of Law; J.D., 2011