Ben is an associate in the firm’s Richmond office where he is a member of the Litigation Section and the Consumer Finance Practice Group.
Ben concentrates his practice on both litigation and regulatory compliance issues related to real estate finance; mortgage banking; federal consumer protection statutes (including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), the Truth in Savings Act (“TISA”), and the Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”) and Regulation Z, among others); state lending, savings, and consumer protection laws; as well as various other consumer finance issues.
Ben has an active practice with clients consisting of national banks and mortgage companies/servicers, regional and community banks, credit unions, and other secured and unsecured lenders. He has experience both negotiating settlements between lenders and borrowers, as well as proceeding with litigation when appropriate, in order to achieve the best possible outcome for his clients. He has defended over 100 cases in state and federal courts on the above issues. In addition to litigation, Ben works closely with in-house counsel and compliance personnel in providing regulatory compliance advice to ensure that appropriate policies and procedures are maintained to minimize exposure.
Recognition & Honors
- Order of the Coif
- Manuscripts Editor, University of Richmond Law Review
- Virginia State Bar; Civil Litigation Division
- Richmond Bar Association
- Newport News Bar Association
- The John Marshall American Inn of Court; Associate
- Virginia, 2014
- Virginia State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University; B.A., 2009
- University of Richmond School of Law; J.D., magna cum laude, 2014