Our Labor and Employment Law Attorneys have earned strong reputations for innovative leadership and client satisfaction. We count among our attorneys many who have been recognized in publications including “Virginia Legal Elite,” “Best Lawyers for Business in the USA,” “Richmond Super Lawyers,” “Chambers,” and “The Best Lawyers in America.” We are well established in the legal community, with an excellent reputation with the judiciary as well as other attorneys. We keep abreast of changes in the law; we are readily accessible, and we render service in a timely manner. In short, we hold ourselves to the highest standards, and we are zealous, compassionate advocates for our clients.
The Richmond office of Kaufman & Canoles seeks a qualified Legal Assistant to perform a variety of administrative duties in support of Labor and Employment Attorneys. Candidates must possess a minimum of three years' relevant work experience, proficiency in Microsoft Office 2016, and typing skills at a level of 65 WPM. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
- Delivers superior client service and acts as a liaison between clients and the attorneys by maintaining continual communications via email, telephone, and in person
- Follows up with clients regarding the status of cases, appointments, billing, etc.
- Serves an important role by handling potential clients in a confident, professional manner and with a high level of comfort
- Works effectively in a team environment with primary attorneys and legal assistants and, at times, with other attorneys
- Prepares routine correspondence, forms, agreements, employee handbooks, letters, and other related documents
- Maintains attorneys’ calendars; schedules and follows up on all appointments (i.e., courts, clients, casework, and potential clients)
- Responsible for ensuring timely filing with the courts and assisting attorneys in preparation for court appearances. Maintains court schedule and other case deadlines
- Opens, organizes, maintains, and closes paper and electronic client files
- Creates binders to organize and index all documents for a particular case
- Prepares and sends billing statements monthly
- Inputs timekeeper data
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Minimum of two years’ labor and employment law experience in a professional office setting or a combination of relevant work and educational experience
- Some litigation experience beneficial
- Some familiarity with employment law and its legal terminology
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2016, time and billing software, dictation/transcription software, and document management software. Typing at a level of 65 WPM
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to be at ease when dealing with clients and potential clients
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, potential clients, attorneys, co-workers, and other outside professionals
- Ability to work successfully within a team environment
- Operational knowledge of standard office equipment including copier, scanner, and telephone
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Proven meticulous attention to detail and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of client service and response
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include: medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k)/profit sharing, paid time off, long term and short term disability.
Kaufman & Canoles is committed to equal employment opportunity (EEO) in all aspects of our employment and retention practices and decisions.
Labor and Employment Richmond Legal Assistant
Kaufman & Canoles, one of Virginia’s largest law firms, seeks an Accounting Supervisor for its downtown Norfolk location. The Accounting Supervisor will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department and the financial functions of the firm’s satellite offices. The supervisor will also manage departmental functions and staff.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance, or other closely related field preferred
- Minimum of five years’ professional accounting office experience and prior supervisory experience
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated advanced accounting and analytical skills
- Supervisory-level knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, trust accounts, payroll, general ledger, and bank reconciliations
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proven organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and problem solve in a fast-paced environment
- Capability to multi-task, prioritize competing responsibilities, and meet deadlines
- Positive credit standing
- Maintains a general ledger of over 2,000 accounts for the firm and its subsidiaries
- Directs and oversees many accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, trust accounts, general ledger, and bank reconciliations
- Supervises, mentors, and evaluates departmental staff
- Serves as administrator for many banking and other related websites
- Verifies ACH debits and outgoing wires daily
- Prepares biweekly report of charitable giving for the Executive Committee
- Monitors cash flow for the firm and its subsidiaries
- Prepares monthly financial reports for Members, operational departments, and subsidiaries
- Prepares various daily, weekly, and monthly reports and reconciliations on a routine basis or as requested for the firm and its subsidiaries
- Provides assistance with semi-monthly payrolls and special payrolls for the firm and its subsidiaries
- Serves as the backup to the Payroll & Benefits Manager for processing payroll and timekeeping edits
- Assists in the preparation of firm income tax returns and various financial budgets
- Assists in the preparation of work papers for the annual financial and profit-sharing plan audit
- Prepares statistical surveys and government census reports
- Works with the Controller and Director of Administration on financial projects, as needed
We offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k)/profit sharing, paid time off, long term and short term disability.
Submit resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.