Kaufman & Canoles is a highly respected corporate law firm with eight offices located throughout Virginia. We are well established in the legal community, with an excellent reputation with the judiciary as well as other attorneys. We have built our reputation on quality client services. We promote a culture of teamwork and a “can do” attitude. We keep abreast of changes in the law, we are readily accessible, and we render service in a timely manner. In short, we hold ourselves to the highest standards, and we are zealous, compassionate advocates for our clients.
The Kaufman & Canoles Virginia Beach office is seeking an experienced and highly qualified Associate for litigation regarding real estate, title insurance, construction, creditor’s rights and related areas. Candidates should possess an understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure, and have a working knowledge of various real estate issues including, but not limited to, deeds and deeds of trust, boundary lines, easements, partitions, intestacy laws, judgments and lien priority.
- Analyze the issues surrounding the matter and develop a strategy for resolving the matter in an efficient and effective manner under the supervision of senior attorneys
- Provide effective and practical advice to clients regarding litigation involving real estate title matters
- Prepare and review court pleadings
- Participate in trial preparation to include drafting pretrial motions, answering discovery requests, preparation for depositions
- Research and drat memoranda of law and briefs
- Participate in pretrial and trial hearings
- Prepare, review and edit deeds, deeds of trust, deeds of easement, boundary line agreements and similar documents under the supervision of senior attorneys
- The Associate will be asked to conduct settlement negotiations, mediations, arbitrations with third parties and counseling of clients.
- Level of experience: 3-5 years with demonstrated litigation experience and an in-depth working knowledge of real estate litigation and construction litigation, specifically
- Motivated, self-starter
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, public speaking and communication skills
- Strong organizational and matter management skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, other firm attorneys, support staff and outside professionals
- Strong ethics, strong work ethic, sense of loyalty, superior academic credentials, strong recommendations from current employer or employers, “can do” attitude, connections to South Hampton Roads preferred
Note: In order to be considered for this position you will need to attach a writing sample to your application.
- Juris Doctorate degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association with an outstanding academic record
- Admission to the Virginia Bar
- Must be and remain licensed to practice law in Virginia and be in good standing in the State of Virginia
- During employment, must meet requirements for continuing licensure for law practice; some opportunities for obtaining in-houses CLE through Kaufman & Canoles will be available
Kaufman & Canoles offers a generous compensation and benefits package which includes a competitive salary, medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k)/profit sharing, paid time off, and long term disability.
Kaufman & Canoles is committed to equal employment opportunity in all aspects of our employment and retention practices and decisions.