Sports & Entertainment
The continuous change and growth in the sports and entertainment industries have necessitated specific legal needs for athletes, entertainers, and organizations. New technology and platforms continue to impact how sports, media, and entertainment are produced, distributed, and consumed. The latest gadgets, delivery methods, and content genres bring with them new opportunities for building successful brands as well as new hazards to avoid. The Kaufman & Canoles Sports & Entertainment team represents clients in the entertainment and sports industries, ensuring their financial interests and creative assets are protected.
The Sports & Entertainment team members use their business law expertise to assist and provide counsel to athletes and entertainers throughout their careers and after, as they look to invest and grow their opportunities, brand, and earnings. Our experienced professionals are dedicated to helping athletes and entertainers build and maintain a successful career. We have experience representing franchises, organizations, and commercial sponsors in working and operating in the sports and entertainment industries.
The Kaufman & Canoles Sports & Entertainment team members can provide wide-ranging legal guidance to athletes, entertainers, and organizations as they navigate the complexities of the sports and entertainment industry. Our full-service law firm allows our team to work closely with clients on a variety of legal issues including:
- contracts and agreements;
- estate planning;
- corporate law and mergers & acquisitions; and
- commercial agreements.
Providing professional, quality, convenient, cost-effective, and comprehensive legal services to our clients is our number one priority.
- Employment contract reviews and advisement for university coaches
- Negotiated playing contracts for professional athletes
- Negotiated endorsement deals for Olympic and professional athletes
- Non-profit formation for club sports teams
- Represented investors buying and selling minor league baseball and hockey franchises
- Entity formation and representation of university-sponsored sports camps
- U.S. Center for SafeSport and National Governing Body membership appeal representation
- College and university scholarship and disciplinary appeals
- Defense of student-athletes and college athletic department staff facing criminal charges
- Represented investors in bids and development proposals for professional sports expansion franchises
- Negotiated movie development deal for writer